Monday, July 18, 2011

"And now Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."

Why my mom is great:


Despite the fact that she has had little or no interest in Harry Potter, she's always supported my sister and I wholeheartedly in our geekdom.  She even let us decorate with a window scene in the last movie's honor (pretty extensive, but this is how we get our thrills).


 I often ramble on play-by-plays of my favorite moments and swoon at my favorite quotes or talk through how I interpret the philosophy of it- all while she's tapping away on her laptop in order to bring home bacon (I think that's the phrase). Soon, I came to the disheartening conclusion that she wasn't interested and that I should probably shut up and let her focus.





Just when I thought that The DaVinci Code would be the only literature she'd read during my childhood, she read the whole Twilight saga!...in just four days!  It required a small break from sunlight and bacon-bringing, but I suppose it's all for the cause.  Though this new fascination was slightly nauseating (mostly because the movies played in our house for a while), it also gave me new hope. I decided to try again. 

Unfortunately, the new gusto in my attempts went unnoticed...but not by my brother, Chris. He became obsessed. We would have movie marathons, pausing only for long background discussions and embellishments.  Though he's never read the books (I'm pretty sure the only book he's read is Holes, bless his heart), he's become pretty proficient in trivia in all the details of the plot.
When he moved in with my other brother, Josh, he soon turned Josh onto the movies, too.  My sister-in-law and four nephews caught on as well.  
There are three primary advantages to this:
1. My adorable nephews speaking in actually-pretty-good British accents while fighting with Transformers
2. The youngest one, not able to talk yet, trying his hardest to cast spells by enthusiastically pointing forks and exclaiming his best guesses at English. He sounds a bit like Donny from Wild Thornberry's.

But mostly,
3. My mom finally being convinced to watch the movies and read the books!  Right now as I type, we are watching the Prisoner of Azkaban and my sister is explaining the genesis of Moody, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs.  It's a pretty happy day.

My attendance to see Deathly Hallows part 2 was everything and more. 












I'm never too picky when it comes to the Harry Potter movies, or really any books-turned-into-movies.  There are many reasons why, but ultimately it's not very sensible or sensical and goes against my Optimism Code.  I found the whole movie to be beautifully done. I loved the increase of darkness and light in the movie.  

I loved when they put the Cornish Pixies in the Room of Requirement. It was such a tiny little thing that sent me smiling about how much I love the whole series. In that one moment, they contrasted the monumental bloody battle alongside the whimsical struggles with a once-sane Lockhart. It just made me really happy.  And that's what I love about the series. 












Harry recites "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" and the credits open up.  Interrupted by her own yawns, my mom asks if we can watch the fourth and fifth movies tomorrow night.  She then makes her way to bed muttering something about "really starting to get into it..." "thought there had to be something up with the rat.." I have a feeling we'll get all the way to the sixth.

On a cryptic note, 
I've been feeling a lot of anxiety for my new future, mostly fueled by fear of how my past will affect it.  But due to recent events and plenty of thinking time, I've been approaching peace at an alarming rate.  With all that changes with time, I can't expect to change with it (good or bad) unless I make an effort.  I know that there are times when goodbyes seem hopelessly evident, but there's always the chance that a start from the beginning is in order. And yes, even with the more hopeful goodbyes, there will be an inevitable Cornish Pixie to remind me of the nuisance and victory. And that is quite alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment