Saturday, July 9, 2011

Today, it was Spiderman.

Perhaps it is my ever-love for cartoons
or perhaps it is my new friendship with a boy who sometimes refers to himself as Batman
or perhaps it is how awesome the local comic book store, Gotham City, is.


I have a budding fascination for comic books.


One of my many awfulnesses (they're all endearing, so don't you worry!) is my nail-biting habit.  Luckily, over the years, I have confined the fowl beastliness to the duration of intense movies/crime shows. Or really suspenseful Pixar moments. Today, while reading my shiny recommended edition of The Amazing Spiderman: The Death of Gwen Stacy, indeed, though I am ashamed to admit, I had begun a nail-biting frenzy.  Though this was disheartening to some level, it was nowhere near the peaks and valleys my heart swooped with Peter Parker and his urban swings to conquer the tragically psychotic Green Goblin.



However, I was first introduced to Superman.


... I think Lois Lane ruined him for me.  
As if her snark and flooz wasn't enough, she then shoots Superman with kryptonite because she feels that he might be up to something.

Seriously? He's Superman! When he's up to something, it's to save the planet.
In reality, he was making her a birthday present: his powers for a day.

Seriously? You're Superman! And you don't care (probably distracted by Ms. Lane's low-cut-drawn blouses) how much time you're wasting while Lex Luthor plots his escape? Knowing fully that he has led you to your your imminent radiation-caused death?
Don't get me wrong, I understand that even super men have a bucket list (and a bucket full of hormones),

but Lois Lane



Also, I thought it was kind of cocky of him to make robot clones or himself.  An awesome butler would've been nice.


Oh, Superman.  Perhaps he is craftier than I think.  Maybe he was purposefully awful in my first-ever comic book in his plot to squelch out my new want, in an effort to save me time and money (and dignity?).


Fortunately, the man at the comic book store assured me that hating and loving different heroes is 
"what it's all about".  Hopefully I'll see him soon for a good Batman comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment