Saturday, August 20, 2011

Not looming, just kind of sitting there.

Since officially moving to college on Tuesday, things have been a big happy blur.  I’ve moved into my apartment, got a spot on the college drum line (third bass!), made some pals, and have enjoyed plenty of games and foolery (bringing about my new nickname, Rhymeatron (am I cool yet?)). 

I’ve been getting my freshman fifteen off to a good start by re-falling in love with these little beauties. 




How can you resist?  The word “wheat” is in the title, they’re always toasted, not fried, they lack high fructose corn syrup, AND have 30 grams of whole grain in each serving.  And the way they carelessly scrawl “What Thins” across the box is just so darn approachable.  I am a fool for these crackers. True, at 10 calories a pop, I should be wary.  But the slightly significant nutritional facts plastered on the box coupled with the slightly significant burning of my abs, I've managed to sort of justify making these my rushed meals.

Apparently our drumline this year is doing a lot better than past drumlines at this school.  Hooray! The higher expectations are really exciting.  I've heard the phrase "the better we play, the more fun we'll have" a lot, which is great.  (I've also heard the phrase "moldy and gross" a lot, which is not so great, but irrelevant.)

Everything so far has been a series of me thinking things will be overwhelmingly awful and me being surprised at the underwhelming ease of it all.  But I mean this in a good way; it’s nice to not have the breakdowns I was anticipating.  Even carrying my bass drum on my jello-hard abs (those Wheat Thins man…) was pretty easy. 

But I’ll probably feel differently after band camp next week…


Okay, I’m going to find a good hiding spot for these Wheat Thins.


          


 My first college party consisted of: construction worker hats, live redneck washboard rock band, wood-chopping contest, caution tape award sashes, skanking, a keg of root beer, and a ceremonial burning of pants. Yay! Way to go Cool Kid On Drum Line Named Dan.





2 comments:

  1. MMMMMMMM I Wuv you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily! You sound like you're having great fun, and that makes my heart happy and excited to start my own adventure. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete